星期二

Stephen Abram, leading international librarian and ‘lighthouse thinker’


The TS posse had a mini field trip to check out what Steve Abram 'international librarian and lighthouse thinker, had to say to us. Amongst the many things that he said (I think I missed some though, because he spoke really fast and my brain wasn't able to process everything), I found this diagram very interesting. click on the image for a version that you can actually read

Basically, from a Forrester survey of US internet users it shows what each age group is doing online. have a look for yourself and see if you are up with your US counterparts.

another interesting point he raised was about our library management systems and ipacs. we librarians think they are the best thing, like, ever invented. but does the end user necessarily agree? i doubt it. mr average library user doesnt care what an ipac is, nor how it works. for all intensive purposes, it's the interface which allows him to find a book.

embedding a library ipac in social software that people actually DO care about and use, such as myspace or facebook, is something that has been done by some libraries in other countries. it is something tht we should also consider.

2 条评论:

Learning 2.0 administrator 说...

Hi,
Thank you so much for taking the time and energy to post on this since I know many people were unable to attend. Great blog- keep up the good work!
Cheers
Leslie

Pete 说...

As a GenXer (who hates the misguided belief in things like generations) I see that I, like my so-called generation, is writing a blog, reading other blogs, and I read lots, writing on blogs and generally using the internet.
Am I suprised, not really.