星期五

Library Thing Eleven

LT seems to have a really wide appeal to many librarians, but personally, I don't find LT that useful for my own reading development. All the book covers look nice and pretty and everything, but I'm just not into checking out others' bookshelves.

I prefer to hear my colleagues and friends talk about books that have really moved and inspired them, or to read blogs and author reviews, like for example, what our fellow blogger "Stuff'n'Nonsense" does very well. And what others here have done in lists on their blog sidebars.

Library Thing is just one of several flavours of book sharing social software available on the internet. Shelfari is also very popular, and really recently, as in this month, Google Books released My Library. Read this recent Wired blog post about Google Books and My Library. The cool thing about Google Books is that you can search for a book and also check out which libraries have it. I think that this will be one to look out for as it becomes more developed, especially for us in libraries.

LibraryThing and similar tools have the potential to be great reader services tools for our patrons who prefer online interaction. For example, we could open up our personal bookshelves to patrons so they can see what we, as 'expert' readers, are reading.

没有评论: