星期二

really simple syndication

There was a time in my life when I had a huge list of bookmarked sites, and, to see when each had been updated I had to manually check each one. rss has solved that issue.

In the past I've experimented with different types of feed readers - the third party applications which need to be downloaded and installed on your pc, and also the web based ones. My personal preference is with the third party applications because they seem to deliver the content in a more streamlined and user friendly way.

The one I use, FeedReader, also delivers images with the text, something that my web based ones such as Google Reader don't do. But the downside of this is that you can only access the feeds from the computer with the software installed...which is only a downside if you are one of those people who needs their updates every minute of the day. (Yarra doesnt let you download third party aplications so don't bother trying yourself - I've already tried) .

Libraries and RSS?
Having a dynamic, rather than static, web presence is something that libraries should do if they are serious out their online patrons. RSS works for sites that change on a regular basis.

For LPD purposes, RSS feeds are pretty useful too. The only problem is deciding which of the myriad library blogs you want to read...

Library Etiquette is my favourite library blog and I have it in my feed reader. I pretend that it's professional development, but it's more entertainment.

Anonymous Lawyer is my favourite non-library blog that i subscribe to, also more entertainment than contributing to my professional development. if anything it is the opposite.

My geeky computer friend is a podcaster and this is his science blog, which is pretty much a gratutious plug to get more listeners. It's #2 in the iTunes charts, which in the blogosphere is like being in the Australian Idol Opera House Finale.

没有评论: